- Fortify Your Institutional H1N1 Plan with Lecture Capture: Mediasite at Washington State University
- Creating an Online Conference to Reduce H1N1 Exposure: A Tale of Two Virtual Meetings
- Webinar - Judging A Book By Its Cover: What Does Your Webcast Say About Your Event and Your Brand? (by Noble Financial - see this link for Noble's June 2009 conference catalog; side note: more financial firms should use this format as most Wall Street related Webcasts remain poor; Noble is way ahead of the pack!)
- If webcasting a funeral seems a little, well, ghoulish to you, you’re not alone. The decade-old service has been a hard sell to most funeral directors until recently. But the advent of cheaper broadband, the financial strain of travel, and deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan have all contributed to increased use of the Web as a tool to connect loved ones during such times of need.
- ”It’s really come up in the last two years, as more webcasting software companies have entered the market, made it more user-friendly, and more aggressively pitched it to funeral directors,” says John Reed, owner of the Dodd & Reed Funeral Home, in Webster Springs, W.Va., and president of the National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA), in Brookfield, Wis.
- Funeral webcasting is starting to spring up in Hong Kong, India, the Philippines, and elsewhere. Reed estimates that 10 to 20 percent of NFDA’s 20,000 members in 40 countries offer it.
- The ubiquity of social media has raised everyone’s comfort level with life taking place online as well as off, says Matthew Fiorillo, who owns the Ballard-Durand Funeral Home in White Plains, N.Y. He’s now webcasting four or five funerals a month; he only began offering it in October 2008. ”Every time I arranged a funeral, I’d ask if there was a family member who wanted to attend but couldn’t. Eighty or 90 percent said yes,” he says. ”Then I’d ask how they would feel about seeing a service live online, and they were open to it.”
Disclosure: long SOFO.
© 2009 Jeffrey Walkenhorst
Please see important Risk Factors & Disclaimer